COOKE CENTER SUMMER ACADEMY
Taking full advantage of all that New York City has to offer
The Cooke Center Summer Academy (CCSA) is a six-week summer program for special education students designed to reinforce the academic and social skills that were developed in the classrooms during the school year. Students participate in a small group, multi-sensory, thematic-based learning environment with integrated related services including speech and language therapy, counseling, and occupational therapy. Students are grouped based on differentiated learning profiles and are assessed continuously throughout the six-week program.
The program is divided into two, three-week thematic sessions. Themes are designed to offer students in depth, individualized literacy and problem solving instruction in a fun, engaging, and academically appropriate environment. Students engage in academic instruction that focuses on the following core content areas and skills: decoding and word study, reading comprehension, writing workshop, thematic content study, and mathematical problem solving. Community inclusion opportunities complement academic themes by providing students with experiences in their local community settings. Travel Training, Community Service projects, and Off-Site Education activities are integrated into the weekly schedule in order to maximize students’ experiences in the community.
Grammar School Students
- Morning academics include learning centers in literacy, math, science and social studies, with integrated related services
- Afternoon recreation activities include swimming, drumming, movement, arts and crafts, and structured sports games
- Community inclusion opportunities through the Recreation Center, neighborhood walks, and visits to local community resources
- Weekly field trips will complement academic work and offer students a wide range of NYC experiences
- Morning activities include instructional periods in literacy, functional mathematics, and thematic projects with integrated related services
- Afternoon recreational activities include swimming, drumming, sports instruction, and arts and leisure activities
- Leadership opportunities include weekly community service and book buddies with the Lower and Middle School students
- Weekly field trips will complement academic work and include structured travel training instruction
For more information, including dates, tuition and enrollment procedures, please contact Mary Clancy, Cooke Center Summer Academy Director, at email@example.com